Monday, March 17, 2008

Andy's Morning Monologue: A True-Based Story

I've ridden my share of public transportation back in the day. Occasionally, you'd get a colorful character that cried out to the ears of a young writer. And, so, I bring you a pretty damn close transcription of Andy's Morning Monologue, from the 435 heading north on Fair Oaks Avenue:

Hi, how you doing today? It's a good day today. WHOA! Geez, I didn't think the bus was gonna move like that. I was grabbing on to the bar to hold myself. Like I was riding that ride over there. And you know the front of the car, there's nobody there in front of you. Geez, you know, it scared the living life out of me. You're just climbing up and the thing keeps going up and there's no protection there. You're just holding on to the bar in front for dear life. The Revolution is the worst. (He's referring to a ride at Magic Mountain in Valencia, CA.) That's the one where you're going practically straight up and you're out there for, oh, maybe a few seconds or so and then you practically go straight down. Oh my goodness, that was something else. (The Revolution, however, is a roller coaster, not one of those vertical drop rides.) You see those houses up there on the hill? My daughter was living up there. Those houses are really expensive. They would probably be going for somewhere around four or five hundred thousand. (C'mon, it was the late 70s.) My apartment, my apartment where I'm living, I got a pretty good deal. I've been there since 1965. I'm paying about $265 a month. (Again, late 70s.) If I was moving out, it would probably be $500 or $600 a month there. You know, the interest rates are going down and you could finance a new place with your equity, you know, the equity from a house. I couldn't move now. I been there too long. It's a good setup I got now.The interest rates are going down. You put your money in those CDs, you're not getting much for your money. You know, it's locked up there, say six months or 12 months. You're getting five percent or five and a quarter somewhere, some fraction of a percentage, you might as well put it in a savings and get your five percent where you can get to it. The return on your money... you're not getting much more and at least you can get a hold of it if you need it.Cabbages are real good for me, but I can't eat them too much anymore. (Great segue, Andy.) I used to eat it all the time. I'm eating good bread now and lots of vegetables. I like vegetables. Soup is good. I could eat soup anytime I like it so much, you know.


And that is the beauty of real-life dialogue from slighty crazy people.

No comments: